Advice for 1st year students
This week Coventry and Warwickshire students will begin freshers and start off their University life. As a first year you’ve probably got a thousand and one questions in your head about moving into your new home and making new friends.
We want to reassure you that moving into your student accommodation in Coventry is not as daunting as you think. Below we’ve outlined the most important things to consider when you move in with some helpful tips to making new friends at Uni.
Keeping your student house secure:
This may be the last thing on your mind when you’re busy enjoying Freshers week but keeping your accommodation safe is important to remember as a student. To ensure that you don’t come back to a ransacked house with all your valuables missing you should consider the following:
- House insurance – Search content insurance for students on Google, standard policies will cover theft, loss or damage.
- Knowing who your local policing teams are and having their contact emails is always useful information, find it here.
- If you can’t find an answer to your questions about house security then check out the dedicated section on the west-midlands police site.
Read our blog for more tips on keeping your student pad secure.
How to make friends in first year:
You’ve probably heard this saying over and over again from your parents – ‘you’re in the same boat as a lot of people’. It’s worth repeating this because it is very true, a lot of freshers are as nervous as you are about making a good first impression.
Facebook Pages & Groups:
Facebook is usually a good point of call for finding fellow students to go out with. Don’t turn this option down, you’ll find that a great deal of students are responsive and open to meeting up with new people.
Official Warwick Freshers Facebook Group
Official Coventry Freshers Facebook Group
Best Student Bars in Coventry:
If you want to skip the latter part and head straight to the bars then make sure you know which ones are the student ones.
- The Phoenix – Located right outside Coventry University and is popular amongst sports fans to watch live sports.
- Quids Inn – A favourite amongst students because of its value for money and great atmosphere to socialize with friends.
- Drapers Bar & Kitchen – Also conveniently placed near to the University, with good food and atmosphere.
Another ritual when students move in is the ‘first shop’ to fill their fridge and cupboards. It’s probably a good idea then to know where all the main food stores are in Coventry.
Check out our tips for eating healthily on a student budget!
Restaurants in Coventry City Centre:
Remember to thank your parents for helping you move in and driving you to Coventry by treating them to a meal before they leave. We understand you’re on a budget so we’ve listed a few restaurants that won’t break the bank.
- Toby Carvery – Serving roast meats carvery-style.
- Chi Bar – A modern noodle bar with amazing Chinese, Korean and Japanese Cuisine.
- Pizza Hut – An affordable classic if you’re spoilt for choice.
- Slug & Lettuce – Another fantastic bar chain which offers value for money.
With weekly food shops, social events, parties and general student life it can be very easy to lose track of your expenses and eagerly wait for the next loan instalment.
Part-time work can act as a solution to this problem. With extra cash you’ll be able to live more comfortably and treat yourself more often. Not only does it benefit you financially but it can help you develop transferrable skills, which will assist you in your graduate job search.
Coventry & Warwickshire students can search for part-time jobs by visiting the jobs board here.